Friday, February 6, 2009

Welcome Back 4th ID on Fort Hood

Today I went with Aaron out to the Welcome Back party for 4th ID on Fort Hood. There was a little over 200 soldiers that arrived back today. Now I always knew that soldiers sacrificed for our freedom, and have never taken that for granted, but today when I had the chance to witness the return of some of our troops from Iraq it was a truly humbling experience. I do not know what I expected when I got up early this morning to make the 40 minute drive to Fort Hood, but what I experienced has really made me stop and appreciate even more what these soldiers are doing for us, not some of us, all of us. People that bitch about our armed services need to go to one of these parties, so that they know that while we all reserve the right to have an opinion about our government and how it operates, we should ALL give 100% of our support to the people that, by choice, fight for our right to complain while leaving their family and friends behind to go to a foreign country for 15 months straight. Complain about the Management all you want, but thank the person that fights for you regardless of your status or race. Next time you see a soldier take a few minutes out of your busy consumer driven life and use them to say thank you to ANYONE that has ever served in OUR military.

This little girl was waiting for her Daddy to come give her a hug. She was only a little bitty baby when he saw her last... Now she is up and running around waving her little flag PROUDLY.

I took some time to stop and talk to this girl who was waiting for her husband to return home. They do not have kids, but he loved his dog so she drove all the way from Oklahoma with the dog so it could be there for him when he got back to Texas.

Her husband was able to be there for the birth of his little baby girl, but hasn't had the chance to hold her again since then.

This was really cool... They had firetrucks lined up making an arch of water for the buses that all the soldiers were in to pass under. They were flanked by Apache Helicopters and a half-track was leading the way. My apologies if I am calling something the wrong thing, but that is what I believe that I heard they were called.

The first guy off the first bus.

They lined everyone up and had a prayer thanking the Lord for allowing them all to come home safe before they allowed them to cut loose and run to their loved ones. I have to admit, while they were all standing at attention and the pastor was saying the prayer, there have been few times in my life that I was as proud as I was to be living in America and to have people that believe in our country enough to risk their lives for it daily.

Happy to be back in the Land of the Free.

Once they let the soldiers be with their families, I tried my best to not take anyone's 'moment' but walked around snapping pictures. This one reminds me of the famous picture of the guy in his Navy uniform kissing his girl in Times Square on New Years.

This soldier is holding his beautiful little baby girl for the first time. It was once of those moments that took my breath away, I can not even fathom the emotions that he must have felt.

Another special moment that I had the pleasure of being in the presence of...

I am thankful that I have a job that allowed me to go to an event such as this. Everything happens for a reason and maybe I needed a little bit of a refresher on how lucky I am to live in the United States of America, and how I should go a little out of my way to let those that have made this the Land of the Free know that I am thankful. So let me take this chance to let anyone that has taken the time to read my blog that has served in OUR military that I truly appreciate all the sacrifices that you have made to help us ALL have a better life. Thank you.

1 comment: